"To have such a vast amount of people working collaboratively towards the same goal is amazing!"
As the largest public sector employer and indeed, the largest employer in Europe, the NHS has unique responsibilities. It’s our job to bring together a diverse workforce that serves our equally diverse communities and shares the cultural values essential to providing the best services possible.
Meet the needs of everyone
The NHS was created out of the ideal that good healthcare should be available to all regardless of wealth. When it was launched by the then minister of health, Aneurin Bevan, on July 5 1948, it was based on three core principles:
- that it meet the needs of everyone
- that it be free at the point of delivery
- that it be based on clinical need, not ability to pay
Accountable to the public, communities and patients that it serves
Guiding the development of the NHS since 1948, these three principles have been added to over the years. Underpinned by the core NHS values, there are now seven key principles guiding the NHS in all it does:
- The NHS provides a comprehensive service available to all
- The NHS works across orgnisational boundaries and in partnership with other organisations in the interest of patients, local communities and the wider population
- Access to NHS services is based on clinical need, not an individual's ability to pay
- The NHS is committed to providing best value for taxpayers' money and the most effective, fair and sustainable use of finite resources
- The NHS aspires to the highest standards of excellence and professionalism
- The NHS is accountable to the public, communities and patients that it serves
- The NHS aspires to put patients at the heart of everything it does
Working together for patients
Patients, public and staff have helped develop our values that inspire passion in the NHS, and that should underpin everything it does. The NHS values provide common ground for co-operation to achieve shared aspirations, at all levels of the NHS.
- Working together for patients
- Improving lives
- Respect and dignity
- Everyone counts
- Commitment to quality of care
Our leadership programmes have been designed with the safeguarding of all of these values in mind.