Hand give key icon

We have the tools, training, techniques and commitment to diversity that are essential to shaping our leaders of the future. If you are a graduate committed to our vision, with passion, resilience and determination, here's where you can really make a difference.


Minimum Eligibility Requirements

We ask for at least a 2:2 degree in any subject. Some degree equivalents are also acceptable.


A postgraduate qualification (MBA, Masters, PhD)


Degree level equivalent qualifications that are health or management related, such as:

  • NVQ Level 5 in Management
  • Diploma in Management Studies (DMS)
  • Diploma in Nursing, Midwifery or Health Visiting (Dip HE Nursing) etc.
  • Diploma from the Chartered Society of Physiotherapy
  • Diploma in Speech & Language Therapy
  • Diploma from the College of Occupational Therapy (DipCOT)
  • Diploma from the College of Radiographers (DCR)
  • Diploma in Social Work (DSW) or the Certificate of Qualification in Social Work (CQSW)

We do not accept the following qualifications:

  • Certificate in Management Studies
  • DipHE (Diploma of Higher Education) in any subject other than that listed above
  • ONC/OND (Ordinary National Certificate/Diploma)
  • HNC/HND (Higher National Certificate/Diploma)
  • CGLI/C&G (City & Guilds)
  • ODA/ODP Certificate or Diploma (Operating Department Assistant/Operating Department Practice)

Key requirements for Scheme specialisms:

Our Scheme has a significant academic study element so, whichever specialism you choose, you’ll need a strong aptitude for assimilating, analysing and explaining complex concepts, data and statistics.


Unfortunately, we cannot accept applications from individuals who are already qualified or have completed the first stage (e.g. the 'Professional Certificate', 'Professional Diploma' or 'Strategic' papers) of the professional accountancy qualification CIPFA. All our Finance trainees have to take this qualification as part of the Scheme and the educational component has been designed specifically for the NHS. You can, however, apply to join another specialism if you wish.


If you are Level 3 and/or Level 5 CIPD qualified you are eligible to apply for the HR specialism however you will not be awarded any exemptions.

If you are Level 7 CIPD qualified you will not be eligible to apply for the HR specialism but you can apply to join another specialism if you wish.

Health Analysis

Candidates should have a minimum 2:2 undergraduate degree in a numerate subject, or one with at least 30% numerate content.

Examples of numerate degrees are Statistics, Mathematics, Operational Research, Econometrics, Physics, Engineering, Accounting, Biology, Economics, Business, Chemistry, Finance, Geography, IT, Management Science, Psychology, Sociology, Social Sciences and Systems Science.

Health Informatics

We cannot accept applications from individuals who are already qualified or have a post graduate qualification in health informatics.

Policy and Strategy

We cannot accept applications from individuals who are already completed a Postgraduate Diploma in Health Policy.

Previous Experience

We don’t require any specific work experience for our Graduate Management Training Scheme. However, any tangible examples of work experience (paid or unpaid) you can gain will be helpful at the interview stage. 

Our commitment to diversity

The NHS is proud of its highly diverse workforce. We provide healthcare to people from a variety of backgrounds, communities and cultures, and it’s crucial to this service delivery that the NHS can match this diversity with its workforce. For this reason the Scheme, and indeed all NHS jobs, are open to people from all backgrounds. 

Permission to work in the UK and Leave to Remain in the UK (Work Permits)

Tier 1 - Post-study work

Following the closure of Tier 1 (Post-study work), if you’ve graduated after studying in the UK you can now apply for leave to remain in the UK under other immigration routes if you meet the criteria.

Tier 2 - Sponsorship to work in the UK

Those who require Tier 2 sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome to apply and will be considered alongside all other applications. However, the decision to grant a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) is made by the Borders Agency only. Therefore any offer of employment would be subject to being granted permission to work under the CoS scheme.

You should read the relevant working in the UK guidance on the Borders Agency website about any alternative route you’re considering, to understand the criteria you need to meet to apply for permission to stay in the UK.

As the situation with regards to permission to work and Leave to Remain in the UK is subject to change, we strongly advise you to contact the UK Council for International Student Affairs website for up to the minute information. Alternatively you may wish to visit the UK Visa and Immigration Home Office website.